If you had a coupon for 50% off your first taste of genetically modified salmon, would you try it?
What if you knew that the FDA had studies - from AquaBounty, the company that wants to commercialize GMO salmon - that showed that GMO salmon is:
- MORE ALLERGENIC: GMO salmon have mean allergenic potencies that are 20% and 52% higher than normal salmon.
- MORE CARCINOGENIC: GMO salmon has 40% more IGF1, a hormone linked to prostate, breast and colon cancers in humans.
- LESS NUTRITIOUS: GMO salmon has the lowest omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of any salmon.
- LIKELY TO CHANGE THE BACTERIA IN YOUR INTESTINES: Horizontal gene transfer, where the bacteria of the human gut takes up modified DNA from GMO foods during digestion, has been shown occur with soy and is likely to happen with GMO salmon, too.
- ALL MESSED UP: GMO salmon has increased frequency of skeletal malformations like "humpback" spinal compression, increased prevalence of jaw erosions or "screamer disease," and multisystemic, focal inflammation in its tissues.
- NOT GOING TO SAVE WILD SALMON: The main justification for GMO salmon is that it would supposedly reduce the pressure on wild fish stocks, but consumption isn't the primary pressure on wild Alaskan salmon, destruction of their habitat is.
Catch people's reactions when they learn that genetically engineered animals could soon be approved by the FDA and encourage them to learn more and take action.
Don't Forget, Tell the FDA: If you approve Frankenfish, it needs to be labeled "GMO!"
Take action before Nov. 22
From the OCA Newsletter