This winter has been a major learning experience for me since downgrading from 1,220 sq. ft. worth of living space to 358 sq. ft.
My biggest lessons have been in insulating the underside of my travel trailer to keep the holding tanks from freezing up. I will have to think of better ways to hold the temporary skirting up around the bottom...well, I have all summer to think about it.
Meanwhile I have taken all the tarps that I had duct taped to the bottom off, folded them and have them stacked up under the trailer. I have to figure out how to get the duct tape off. It really stuck on there good.
This winter the I only had one really bad day. The gray and black water holding tanks were full and I couldn't dump them because they were frozen solid. I hauled butt up to the Lowe's and bought a cheap propane heater and tank. Set it up underneath and burned it on very low. Every 15 minutes or so I went under there to feel the bottom of the trailer to make sure nothing was getting singed or too hot. After three hours both tanks were finally melted enough for me to dump.
Oh...there was another day where it got below 15 degrees and the water hose that brings in all my water froze up solid even though I thought I had insulated it enough. My son and I spend half a day wrapping that hose..... It took 2.5 days to melt and I found out that I needed 2 gallons of water a day to take a bath, wash my hair, make coffee, cook something to eat and clean up afterwards.
Besides that it was pretty cozy all winter. A tank of propane lasted for about 2 weeks until it was time to refill, but that was only if the temps stayed far below freezing for an extended time.
- ► 2017 (519)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (55)
- ► 2010 (154)
- Thursday Rant Day
- You've got to be kidding!!!
- Amazing Breakthrough....click on this.
- What a Beautiful Morning
- Aluminum Foil and Duct Tape are my Friends
- Busy Sunday
- Saturday Dragging Slower Than Molasses
- Ripping and Running...
- Rainy Monday
- Going Through My Trash
- The Tight Spots of Field Inspections
- It's A Good Thing That I Love To Drive....
- April Showers Bring May Flowers....
- Save, Save, Click, Click....Oh What A Relief It Is...
- Peaceful Sunday
- Chasing Cars on Easter Sunday
- Lending Companies....wtf?
- Just When I Get Really Disappointed In People........
- Sometimes Less is More
- Living With A C-Rex
- Is winter over now?
- .....so I haven't been blogging
- ▼ April (22)
- I was born in Jever, Germany. My parents immigrated to the United States in 1968. I became a United States citizen in 2005.Favorite Quote: Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government.Justice Hugo Black, 1971.I'm a Supporter of Wikileaks, Greenpeace, Amnesty International, The Freestate Project, LDNaware (Low Dose Naltrexone), Non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) Project, Millions Against Monsanto, the NRA (National Rifle Association), GOA (Gun Owners of America),Truth in Labeling, Unconventional Medicine and The Freedom of Choice.